Sunday, July 4, 2010

Recipe for the Deep Dish Apple Pie I Made Last Night

My husband had been asking me to make him a deep dish apple pie for months - I know at least all of this year, which would be at least six months. Since this weekend is the Fourth of July and they say that America is about hamburgers, apple pies and baseball, I figured this was a good time to make him one. It's not part of my health journey, but it's a holiday! Plus, I just love to cook - especially desserts. Here's the recipe I used.


In a food processor combine 3 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1/2 cup of cold butter and 1/2 cup of vegetable shortening.


Photobucket



Pulse until it resembles course crumbs.


Photobucket



Add cold water a little bit at a time until all the flour mixture is moistened and clings together.


Photobucket


Form into a ball...


Photobucket


and place in the freezer 10 - 20 minutes.


Photobucket


Take it out of the freezer. Divide the dough in half. I laid mine on parchment paper, but you could use wax paper. I do this because it's easier to roll and to transfer to the pie pan. Return the other half to the refrigerator (not the freezer this time).


Photobucket


I placed a piece of parchment paper over the ball of dough and rolled out the crust.


Photobucket



Then I transferred it to the pie pan and crimped the edges with a fork. That really could have waited, as this pie has a top crust and has to be recrimped.


Photobucket



I set the pie pan in the refrigerator.


I had twelve Granny Smith apples, but only used ten of them.


Photobucket



I cored them, peeled them and sliced them, and then put them in some water with lemon to preserve their color and to prevent them from oxidizing.


Photobucket



Then I added 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp lemon juice (fresh), some lemon zest, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg, 1/4 tsp. all spice, a pinch of salt and 1 tbsp. granulated sugar.

Photobucket

I stirred that all up to cover the apples, then took about 1/3 of the apples out and put them in a separate bowl.

Photobucket

The other 2/3 I cooked over medium heat until they started to break down, then I put mixed 3 tbsp. flour and the uncooked apples in with the cooked and placed them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

After the apples had cooled I placed them into the pie crust.

Photobucket

I took out my other dough, which I had not used and rolled it out in the same form, then transferred to the top of the pie, cutting slits in it and crimping it to the bottom crust.

Photobucket

I had some dough, which I had cut from the edges, and I wanted to put some stars on top of the pie, but I had thrown away all of my cookie cutters, because they were in a Christmas kit, so I didn't have a cutter here, but happened to think about my popcycle molds and used them to cut our some cute little shapes.

Photobucket

I laid those on top, and I told my husband to separate an egg for me and to give me the white, but he gave me the yolk, so I brushed it with a yolk.

I cooked it for 20 minutes at 425 degrees, then lowered to 375 degrees and cooked it another 30 minutes, which is when I took this photo...

Photobucket

But then I realized it wasn't done, and returned it to the oven for about another 30 minutes at 375 degrees. The finished product turned out looking like this.

Photobucket

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment