Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kimberly's Creamy Broccoli Soup

I cut up some broccoli - probably just about a half of a head. (They sell two heads together here of fresh broccoli, so I used one fourth of one of them.) I also chopped up about a fourth of an onion.

I placed most of this in the blended with a can of College Inn chicken broth. I know, the broth isn't good, but you have to work with what you have. I think I have to go all the way to Whole Foods in Manhattan to get MSG free chicken broth - because when we buy chicken we don't boil it - we roast it or fry it. If you have MSG free or chicken broth that you make on your own though then that's great!

Photobucket

And I saved just a little bit out for texture. There's no scientific measurement here.

Photobucket

The blended portion ended up looking like this.

Photobucket

I poured it into a pot, and added 1/2 of a cup of heavy cream...

Photobucket

two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, (Nutritional yeast is cheesy, and I prefer it to Parmesan cheese lots of times.), a pinch of cayenne pepper, a pinch of paprika, a pinch of turmeric, a dash of curry and a dash of blended herbs,

Photobucket

a a pat of butter (about a tablespoon),

Photobucket
a crushed clove or garlic...

Photobucket

and a heaping teaspoon of flour to thicken it. (I made the mistake and forgot to put the flour in a little water and mix it up before I added it. It actually clumped and I had a hard time getting the clumps disbursed, but it all worked out.)

Photobucket

I brought it to a boil stirring constantly, and then left it covered to cook about another ten minutes. And it was YUMMY! I want more now, but have no broccoli.

This was my bowl...

Photobucket

and this was my husband's. (He had already had chicken gizzards.)

Photobucket

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment