Friday, July 30, 2010

Day Forty of My Health Journey, EASY Biscuit Recipe, Biology Lesson and Info on Food Additives

I believe that inspiration is a great thing! That's why I have made this blog. I have thought about shutting it down a few times, because there are few followers and even fewer comments. I have wondered if anyone really reads it very much or pays attention to what I am saying. But then I think that if I can help even one person then it's worth it. I have never divulged my weight - I just tell how many pounds I have lost. I am not that brave yet, but I will say that I would like to lose at least sixty more pounds - preferably seventy or eighty. MAYBE when I get to my goal I will post a picture, when what I consider the nightmare is over. It all happened because of my smoking. When I stopped smoking I began eating. But, yes, my focus is on inspiration. I lost one of my main inspirations this week. I had been following a blog called Green and Crunchy for over a year, and I really loved it. She posted what they eat several times a week usually and I found it so inspiration for myself. I learned a lot from her. She closed down her blog this week, and I am so saddened, but I certainly understand her reasons. She has lots of little ones under her feet and is expecting another one. She's very blessed, and I am glad that she wants to spend so much time with them, even homeschooling them.

Speaking of inspiration, however, I do have my own now. Well, I always did have - my health. But I have hit 19 pounds lost now, and so I am really motivated! I haven't even eaten raw much this week. Our funds just haven't allowed it. It's really been some slim pickin's, but I am just thankful to YHWH that He provides!

For supper on Tuesday (I decided to take my dashes out of the days of the week. I guess it's kind of silly. I did it because we are forbidden to say the names of false gods, and the days of the week are certainly named after false gods, but I know that YHWH knows that we are trapped into this one.), but on Tuesday night we had a piece of toast, an egg and a pepper.

Photobucket

 On Wednesday morning we had nothing, but later in the afternoon we had another fried egg and a pepper. By then all the bread was gone.

Photobucket

My husband had two dollars and some change and we were trying to thing of what to buy with it. I suggested potatoes, because they are filling, versatile and relatively cheap, so he came back with about ten potatoes and some chicken bullion. 

He made a delicious potato soup.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had watched a video the other day on how to make sweetener from dates. Here it is:



I had been wanting some tea, but had been out of honey, so I decided to try this, as I had some dates in storage.It turned out pretty good, but I wish I had a Vitamix blender like his. I still had chunks of dates left and had to strain it. Next time I think I will try it in the food processor.

Photobucket

I used four teaspoons in my cup of tea. My husband still uses white sugar.

Photobucket

Today I got some out to put in my tea and it had actually thickened up a bit.

Photobucket

I really like dates as a sweetener. I think I may use this as an alternative to honey some from now on, though honey has it's health benefits too, so I won't turn to dates altogether, but it is a delightful sweetener.

On Thursday I took the rest of the potatoes and cut them up into about 1/4 inch strips and seasoned them with steak seasoning, paprika, turmeric, curry, blended herbs and chili powder, and baked them for about 40 minutes at 450 degrees. That was our lunch. We had no breakfast.

Photobucket

Later on we were hungry again, and there seemed to be nothing here. I had flour and milk, but no vegetable oil. I began to think about mayonnaise, so I found a recipe for biscuits with mayonnaise. 

It was:

  • 2 cups of self rising flour
  • 6 table spoons of mayonnaise
  • 1 cup of milk - but I used more
It said when making mayonnaise biscuits to make them in muffin pans, so that I did. I baked them at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. I didn't really time them, so you will have to watch. They turned out beautiful.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

We had some for breakfast this morning with our tea. The mayonnaise made the biscuits have sort of a buttermilk flavor. They were really good. I think I am going to start making my biscuits in this manner from now on. They are easier than having to drag out the rolling pin and the biscuit cutters, etc., and the mayonnaise makes them more moist. My husband said he prefers them this way.

Now, for all the other info --

Here is the next page on food additives. You can collect all of these in a folder and make your own little booklet.

Photobucket

From my biology book, today we cover the circulatory system. All cells in the body have needs that must be met. That is what the circulatory system does. It consists of the heart pump, and blood, which is a watery mixture of proteins, salt and other substances, along with certain cells. The heart has four chambers. The smaller chambers (atria)  force the blood into the more powerful chambers (ventricles). Oxygen-rich blood leaves the heart through the aorta. It travels to the cells via a network of capillaries and vessels, and returns to the heart via venules and veins to the right atrium of the heart. Adrenalin controls the flow of blood when there is an emergency. The hypothalamus stimulates the reflexes that rushes more blood to the skin when the body is hot. The body fluid known as lymph is transported through the circulatory system with the blood. It is a colorless, watery liquid that sometimes oozes from the skin after it has been scraped. It is a defense of the body. It also controls the filtration of body fluids and flows into the lymph nodes. There scavengers called lymphocytes actually devour foreign articles, such as bacteria. Lymph nodes are located in areas such as the tonsils, the arm pits and the groin area. These sometimes become infected because of this. The lymph nodes also collect protein, which has becomes separated from the blood and either returns it back to the blood or may send it to the spleen. The lymph nodes may also harbor immunizing substances and store them, which otherwise, would be eliminated by the kidneys. The most strenuous task of the lymph nodes is the absorption and transportation of digested fats. In the intestines there are lacteals (lymph capillaries) in the villus (small finger-like projections in the small intestine). As the lacteals swell with fat they have to be pumped out, which stimulates the mucous glands. The lacteals only absorb the fat. Proteins and carbohydrates enter the blood capillaries. The fats are then deposited into the blood stream via lymph vessels to a large vein. What happens from there can be seen in this excellent video, which I think I have posted before.



So that's about enough to digest today, I believe. I was going to do some benefits of food, but I think that would be too much. I will see in again in another day or two.

Blessings and love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment