Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day Eighteen of My Health Journey - Smoothie Recipe and Healthy Wraps

Well, yesterday I did a little bad. My husband was going to go to the store for me, because I had told him I wanted some bananas and a pineapple. He told me that he wanted to get some thin sliced chicken breast from the deli to make a sandwich. Since he's doing so good at going raw with me I try to appease him, and I saw that chicken breast is low in fat and probably wouldn't hurt much, but I did tell him that instead of bread I wanted tortillas, which have no gluten and that way I could make a wrap. Then he tells me to put hot dog buns on the list, because there is a pack of hotdogs left from the Fourth weekend. I did, so that's what we had for supper last night - hotdogs. I am glad they are all gone now! But the thing is that when he was buying the sliced deli meat he saw two pieces of baked Italian breaded chicken laying in the deli, so he bought them. He said they looked like they were waiting on him. So we had baked Italian chicken and a salad for lunch yesterday, and I do have to admit it was yummy! I am not THAT guilty over that, but the hotdogs I am. They were Hebrew Nationals (my kind of hotdogs - kosher, plus I support Israel all the way), but still - all hotdogs are packed with fat! Today I have done better though - until now, and I will get to the now in a minute, but let me start with breakfast.

I made a smoothie out of 2 bananas, a peach, some spinach and a hunk of pineapple (and filtered water).

Photobucket

It was too full to add my cantaloupe, so I had to blend that, and then I added some cantaloupe.

Photobucket

We had a delicious smoothie for breakfast. It made two cups for each of us.

Photobucket

We also had a cup of ginger tea. I am not that crazy about the taste of ginger in my tea, but it's really beneficial, so I drink it. I use this brand.

Photobucket

I like it because there aren't any tea bags. It comes in little pellets, and all I have to do is add hot water and they melt. I added three teaspoons of honey to mine to sweeten it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Remember I told my husband that I wanted tortillas instead of bread? Well we live on a small island, which doesn't officially have a supermarket. There are three markets, but there is nothing super about them. They basically sell the bare essentials, so my husband came back and reported that they did not have tortillas, but he had bought a loaf of whole wheat bread. Not wanting the bread, I had to get inventive here, so this is what I did for lunch. I diced up some tomatoes and chopped up some parsley and spinach.

Photobucket

I spread out the thinly sliced chicken breast and laid the spinach, tomato and parsley on top of it.

Photobucket

Then I rolled them up and made my own wraps, with a little lightly salted cucumber on the side. Here's a couple of views.

Photobucket

Photobucket

My husband had already made him a grilled sandwich with the whole wheat bread (with Swiss cheese), so I didn't offer him any of my wraps, but he did want a plate of cucumbers, which he added salt, honey, olive oil and lemon juice to.

Photobucket

I garnished both plates with fresh parsley flakes. My wraps were delicious!

Now I am to the now. My husband just said he was hungry, and he was rummaging through the cabinets and found some potato chips, which were also left over from the Fourth, so he halved them between us, and as I type I am sitting here eating crumbled up potato chips from the bottom of the potato chip bag. It's bad to waste food, right? That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. I am just glad that the chips are gone now. I don't mind eating some baked chicken; after all, we are transitioning, but the hotdogs and chips are out of our diet limits. We just had those for the Fourth, which we really should not have.

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment