Monday, March 29, 2010

How to Make Homemade Self Rising Biscuits

 I posted how to make biscuits here, but honestly, I wasn't using self-rising flour. I was using all-purpose flour, and they turned out flat and heavy- even with the baking powder! I live on an island that is about 1/4 miles wide by 1 1/2 miles long, and, believe it or not, self-rising flour is like gold here. I didn't have any self-rising flour at the time I made the other batch of biscuits, but got a bag when I went to the mainland on Thursday. Also in the other recipe I used a food processor to make the dough, but I did it the old fashioned way here.

Measure out 2 cups of self rising flour, and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil or some type of shortening.

Photobucket

Take a pastry cutter and cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles course crumbs.

Photobucket

There is no way for me to measure the milk (or buttermilk - I only had milk on this occasion) here because i just add it little by little until the flour is all wet and away from the sides of the bowl.

Photobucket

Sprinkle a little flour out on the counter top. I use to have a sifter to sift all my flour, but don't anymore.  Pour out your dough on the flour.

Photobucket

Knead it to 1.) Get the ingredients further mixed up and 2.) to get the dough covered good with flour so it won't be sticky. Don't overknead it, however, as the dough will come out tough. It should look like this.

Photobucket

Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inches and cut the biscuits out.

Photobucket

Take the biscuits and lay them on your baking sheet. You will have lots of dough left. Form another lump.

Photobucket

Roll it out and cut more biscuits out.

Photobucket

After I did this, I had a small lump left - too small to roll out and cut, so I just tried to form it into a little biscuit, and then laid it on the baking sheet.

Photobucket

Here is my baking sheet full of biscuits.

Photobucket

Place them in a 450 degree preheated oven and bake about 8 minutes or so, depending on your oven, or until they start to turn golden brown.

They should turn out looking like this.

Photobucket

Enjoy!

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment