Sunday, March 14, 2010

How to Make Homemade Biscuits

Note: Self-rising flour always turns out better, but the store was out of it the other day.

Combine, in your food processor, 2 cups of flour, 1/4 cup of oil (I used peanut oil), 2 tsp. of baking powder and a 1/4 tsp. salt. (If you are using self-rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt.)

017

Run the food processor a minute, and it should look like course crumbs.

018

I don't have a measurement for the milk/buttermilk. I just add it slowly in the processor until all the flour becomes wet and forms into dough.

019

It should look like this:

020

Sprinkle some flour down on your countertop, place the dough on it and sprinkle flour on it.

021

Rub some flour on your hands as well, and knead the bread for a couple of minutes. The purpose of kneading the dough is to further mix up the ingredients of the dough, and also to coat the bundle of dough completely and thinly with flour so that when you roll it - it doesn't stick.

It should look like this after kneading.

022

Roll the dough out to about 1/2 an inch and cut your biscuits out.

023

Bake at a preheated 450 degree over for 8 minutes or until they start to turn golden brown.

I highly suggest you use self-rising flour. My biscuits, when I use it, rise easily to an inch and a half, are much flakier and are more golden. I will post them when I get my hands on some self-rising flour.

030

No comments:

Post a Comment