Sunday, March 14, 2010

How to Make Raw Brownies

Soak 1/3 pound of almonds overnight, and drain, rinse and peel them. Place them in a food processor.

008

Process until it looks like this. (I added a drizzle of olive oil and honey to moisten.)

009

Add your dates. I used 20, though not are all shown here. I add as I go.

010

Add 1/4 cup of carob powder.

Pour your "batter" into a pan.
011

And spread as evenly as you can, trying to get in all the corners. (It's difficult because it's so sticky.)

012

Place in the refrigerator for a few hours and chill. Cut into bars. (They are still sticky and hard to work with.)

026

I haven't eaten one yet, but when I cut them into bars and placed them on a plate I ate a piece of one, and it tastes kind of like a chocolate fig newton. Very good!

2 comments:

  1. Similar to my friend's Lara Bar recipe...we grind nut of choice (pecans or almonds) and then add dates and sometimes coconut, sometimes a little butter or coconut oil...sometimes a flavored extract...cocoa, dried fruit. WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have never made Lara bars, but have been anxious to make them.

    ReplyDelete