Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How to Make Broccoli and Mushroom Linguine

Again, this is not something I cook often, because the sauce isn't the healthiest thing in the world, but I had some linguine left over from the other night, when my husband cooked us some Chinese food, that I needed to use up. He used the linguine for lo mein since there is no Chinese store nearby.

This is really quick and really easy. It's about two large servings.

If you click on the pictures, they become full-size, as the blog hides half of them.

First I put my water to boil. I don't measure water - I just filled it a few inches from the top, put a little oil to prevent sticking (for when I add the linguine) and boil.

Next I cut up some brocolli and some portabella mushrooms and sauteed them in a little oil, adding a little salt. I like to use olive oil, but since I am almost out I used peanut oil.

When the water boils, add the linguine (I am using about half a package) and cook just for a few minutes until it becomes tender.

Photobucket

I use this brand - Buitoni.

Photobucket

Now, here is the tricky part. I had to make white gravy, or some call it southern gravy or sawmill gravy. I call it southern gravy.

Add a few tablespoons of oil (I used peanut.)

Allow it to get hot and them add a few tablespoons of flour.

Photobucket

This is the hard part. You have to stir the flour into the oil as fast as you can. Don't take your spatula out for anything or it will clump! When you get it all stirred in and dissolved, it should look like this.

Photobucket

Then I added 3/4 cup if milk and turned up the heat until the mixture boiled. Add salt to taste. It is at this point it thickens into gravy. As soon as it boils set it off the heat.

It should be thick at this point, looking like this.

Photobucket

Take your linguine out of the water, pour the sauce over the linguine, mix it in and add the broccoli and mushrooms.

Photobucket

It's very good, and with prep time it probably took me all of twenty minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment