Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yummy Watermelon - Benefits of and Smoothie Recipe

This is our first watermelon this year! I love watermelon! It's one of, if not THE, favorite foods of mine. I could eat it every single day and never grow tired of it, but is so expensive I can't. One sells for nine dollars and some change here in NYC, so it's definitely a treat, but I am sure going to enjoy this one!
Photobucket

Photobucket

I am trying to get my husband to move to the South with me, so that we can have a garden and a goat (to make pure butter, cheese and enjoy it's pure milk.) So far I haven't managed to convince him, but maybe I can convince you of the benefits of eating watermelon.

  • Watermelon is a natural diuretic and relieves bloating.
  • May help with inflammations, which cause asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
  • Watermelon has lots of vitamin C, vitamin A, beta carotene,  carotenoid antioxidant and lycopene, which neutralize cancer causing free radicals.
  • Watermelon is rich in the B vitamins, which contribute to energy.
  • Watermelon helps fight against Mascular Degeneration.
  • Watermelon is high in citrulline and arginine. Arginine prevents erectile dysfunction, lowers the blood pressure and improves insulin sensitivity. Citrulline relaxes blood vessels and reduces muscle fatigue.
Here's a smoothie recipe for watermelon, though I haven't ever made it.

2 cups of chopped watermelon
1/2 cup of fat-free milk
2 cups of ice

In a blender, combine the watermelon and milk, and blend for 15 seconds, or until smooth. Add the ice and blend 20 seconds, or to your desired consistency. Add more ice, if needed and blend for 10 seconds.

I may try this... not sure if I will have any watermelon left to do so, but if I do I will post it.

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment