Sunday, June 13, 2010

Delightful Vinegar Pie

 I gave everyone a challenge back a few months ago, when I first heard of a vinegar pie, and asked if anyone wanted to make it - jokingly adding that I felt some mustard greens should be added to the recipe somewhere. I did some research on this pie after that and found that it has great reviews, and wanted to try it! I am all about learning to make my husband and I healthy deserts rather than store bought ones - when we desire something sweet. We still eat ALOT of raw, and that helps, but we are learning how to make most of the products that we use from scratch. Basically, we are getting away from all processed foods that we can (as we learn how) and processing them ourselves. (At least we know what goes in them - for the most part.)

Soooooo..... let's make this pie!

I bought this pie pan back in Feb-ruary (I try to remember to put dashes in my months and days of the week, so as not to be really naming the names of pagan gods - as YHWH prohibits it) but back to the point, I bought this pie pan then and never used it.

Photobucket
My husband has been wanting me to make him a deep dish apple pie, and with school and my father's death, I never got the time. The pan has been wrapped up since that time, and I have basically forgotten what it looks like.

Shall we unwrap it?

Here is the bottom of the lid. Notice the crack in it. As I washed it - it acted as if it wanted to break. I gave it to my husband to fix with some plasticine when he gets a chance.

Photobucket

And here's the top of the lid with the price sticker even still on it! What a bargain - $1.50 for this beautiful pie pan!

Photobucket

I bought it at the Methodist Church next door. (Sorry the pictures don't match up, but it's such a tall building.)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Here is the bottom of the pie pan. It has been well-loved and deserves a good washing!

Photobucket
So after a good scouring it's time to start baking!

In the processor, I put 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, 2 tablespoons of butter, 4 tablespoons of ice water and 2 table spoons of milk and processed it until it resembled course crumbs.

Photobucket

I then wadded up the dough and placed in the freezer for ten minutes to chill.

Photobucket

Then I took it out and laid in on a floured surface...

Photobucket

and rolled it out.

Now - you learn right here that I am not much of a pie crust maker. It fell apart and I pieced it together. I don't make pies very often (usually one at Thanksgiving) and so I need some practice on this.

Photobucket

Bake at 450 degrees for 3-4 minutes and sit the pie shell aside.

 Then I took 2 tablespoons of butter and allowed them to soften and then creamed the butter with 1/2 cup of sugar.

Photobucket

I then added 3 tablespoons of flour,  2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of apple pie spice.

Photobucket

Here are the spices I used for reference. The apple pie spice contains a blend of many spices.

Photobucket

I mixed all that together.

Photobucket

Then I added 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and an egg and mixed those in.

Photobucket

I then made a double boiler and heated the mixture until it thickened.

Photobucket

And I poured it in the pie shell.

Photobucket

I realized that since I was using a deep dish pie pan I was way short on the filling, so I made more, but really I could/should have tripled the recipe. I was hoping that, perhaps, the flour in the filling would make it rise a little, but it didn't. But that's OK - we live and we learn.

Photobucket

I baked the pie in a preheated 350 degree oven. Since I doubled the filling, I baked it for 50 minutes, but if you are using a shallow pan and only make the called for amount - 30 minutes is good. Nevertheless, be sure to stick a knife or skewer in the pie before taking it out. If it comes out clean it's done.

Photobucket

Here's the first piece (with the top of the crust all broken off).

Photobucket

And it was yummy! It had kind of a sweet lemony taste. I will definitely make it again!

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment