Friday, June 4, 2010

Squash Bread (Acorn or Butternut)

Sometimes my husband and I want something sweet. Rather than buying something outside, I have started making sweet breads for us, as I know that they don't have all the chemicals and preservatives in them. I provide these recipes, because if we are going to eat sweets, I would rather see us eating sweets like our ancestors use to make than ones loaded down with killers, which are processed by the factories today. I make my own biscuits and we really try to stay away from the chemicals and preservatives, when we want that type of food. I want to start making my own loaves of light bread, too - until we are prepared to be 100% raw. Last night I made acorn squash bread. I normally use butternut squash,  but the store had none yesterday. So far, this is my husband's favorite.

Acorn Squash Bread

Start out with your squash.

Photobucket

Cut it in half and add about 1/2 tablespoon of butter in each half. Don't worry about spicing it up right now. We'll do that to the flour. The main idea right now is just to cook the squash and to get it softened.
Bake it at 400 degrees for about an hour, uncovered.

Photobucket

When you take it out it should look like this.

Photobucket

Scoop the contents out, which I have done here.

Photobucket

I scooped it out into a bowl and took a fork and tore it apart. It's pretty fibrous, so it's easy to tear apart.

Photobucket

Next, combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

Photobucket

In the bowl, which you have your squash, add 2 eggs (beaten) and 1/4 cup of softened butter.

Photobucket
Stir both bowls up to combine the ingredients well.

Photobucket

Combine the wet and dry ingredients and stir well. Pour the batter into a loaf pan. I just use the foil ones, but I believe the measurements are 9 x 5 x 3.

Photobucket

Bake it for about an hour at 350 degrees, or until you can stick a butter knife in it and it comes out clean.

Photobucket

Here is what it looks like sliced up on a plate.

Photobucket

Enjoy!

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment