Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Health Benefits of Mangoes - and the Books I am Getting My Info From

Well, it seems that the storm is over with, at least for now, so I thought that since I just posted a smoothie with mango in it I would share the health benefits of the fruit.

By the way, here are the books that I use. I have a few more, but have to find them, but these are the ones I have handy and read now. I usually pick them up at Strand or some other book store which has them for a dollar or two. One, I did order from Prevention magazine. Please note that I have a book here by Atkins. I do not advocate his diet, but like ones that lean more toward raw foods than meats - as meats are cancer causing, whereas raw foods are cancer healing, but this book pictured here is not about his diet - but rather his views on nutrients.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is what we are learning about today.

Photobucket
  • Mangoes contain 57 milligrams of vitamin C - almost a full day's recommended allowance.
  • Mangoes contain ample amounts of beta carotene and vitamin E. No other tropical fruit provides all three.
  • Mangoes inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
  • Mangoes are high in fiber, which causes any harmful substance in the body to move through more quickly - thus plan an important role in reducing the risk of colon cancer.
  • Mangoes lower cholesterol.
  • Mangoes reduce the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke.
I also have a yummy recipe (especially in hot weather) with mangoes here.

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment