Saturday, April 24, 2010

Beautiful Views and Not So Beautiful Views

I miss Tennessee so much when I am in New York. There just aren't that many pretty views. Well, I do live on an island in the Long Island Sound, and with just a short walk I can see YHWH's (God's) beautiful creation of the ocean, but at my home all I can see is brick and other buildings, bus stops and the street. I showed you the other day my mom's view of the lawn in front of her apartment, where the orchard is (pictured below)...

Photobucket

but that doesn't do the views around the apartment building, which she lives in justice. Let me show you the other views one can see from here.

This is the back yard of the house behind her apartment.

Photobucket

I love that fuchsia bush!

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the road, which goes in and out to the main road. This apartment building is fairly secluded and not many know it is here.

Photobucket

Mom is way up on a hill. Here is a view looking down on another apartment building and some houses.

Photobucket

This circles around behind the apartment building.

Photobucket

One can get a sneak peek of the mountains from this position.

Photobucket

From this position one can see the business section below.

Photobucket

Here is a little peaceful hill near mom's apartment. When my husband was here with me last summer we spent many a quiet days there together picnicking and just watching the clouds, enjoying the peace and quiet of southern life.

Photobucket

This is the front of the apartment building, which my mom lives in.

Photobucket

And this is my mom's personal front porch, which I enjoy sitting on with a glass of ice tea, just listening to the birds, the near train, which passes by frequently and relaxing.

Photobucket

But even with all these nice views and the peace and quiet of my hometown, one must realize that there is still ugliness in the world. I live in New York City, where there is an estimated 38,000 (+) homeless people, but even in Greeneville, Tennessee, my hometown, the statistics are as follow:

Greene County
34 (Total) 16 (Surveys)
Emergency = 5
Transitional = 0
Unsheltered = 29
Families with Children = 0
Chronically Homeless (as determined by completed surveys) = 5 (31%)

One of these unfortunate homeless people once made their home here in the woods by mom's apartment, and this is an old make-shift as it had been already abandoned last summer (of 2009) when I was here, never the less - it is a sad sight!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Please remember to pray for the homeless in our nation as the employment situation gets worse and worse.

Love,
Kimberly ♥

2 comments:

  1. How fortunate for your mum to live in such a lovely place. What wonderful views. I always find that having a pretty place to look at really cheers me up.
    Funnily enough in the UK you don't often see homeless people on the streets, not sure why as I know there are a lot of them. When we went to New York I was so shocked to see homeless people walking around begging and eating out of bins. Major reality check!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know. It is a shock. The statistics say that there are 5 chronic homeless people here where my mom lives, but you never see them either. After living in New York it certainly was a culture shock!

    ReplyDelete