Friday, August 6, 2010

More Photos of the Bronx (Mostly City Island)

Well today I went to the dentist. Nope, not another filling! This time I was approved for two new crowns, because it has been five years since I originally got them. I was thinking that this visit would be a breeze. I thought, "I'll go in, he'll make an impression of my mouth for the new crown and I'll be out of there." Nope, not so easy! In fact, first he beat on the old crown (he only worked to replace one today) and it felt like a jackhammer at work on my tooth. Then he pulled the old post out, gave me lots of injections, and drilled and drilled as he cleaned out the root canal. I thought that part would never be over! Despite all the injections I was still throbbing and so before I left he gave me another injection and also gave me some pain cream to take home. Whew! I love my dentist, but today was a long and painful day with him. I have to give him kudos, however; as he said that all he got done today was suppose to have been a three part visit. He's very fast and his work is quality, and if he makes a mistake he admits it. I can't ever see myself going to another dentist.

I took my camera with me. I always like to take it when I got out to capture pretty little things and also one never knows what he or she will see. I have bored you all with photos of the train station, the dentist office, the stores around his office, etc. so today I didn't take any of those. I took photos of other things you might enjoy.

First, before we went to the dentist we walked to the post office to pay our phone/internet bill. The first photo I came to was of the ice cream shop one block down. We have only eaten there once, but I think it's so cute. It's called "Lickity Split."

Photobucket

They have Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy out front. I love Raggedy Ann. Despite me being 40 years old I can still see myself in a Raggedy Ann bedroom, LOL.

Photobucket

Right beside of it is a little sitting park.

Photobucket

On down is The Black Whale restaurant. It's kind of famous around here for Nichole Kidman eating there when she made the film "Margot at the Wedding." I have never seen it. I also don't know what other celebrities have eaten there. I am not one to be too much on the social scenes, LOL.

Photobucket

Here's another window belonging to "The Black Whale".

Photobucket

Right beside of it is "Silver Arrow Antiques." An old boat captain, named Captain Smitty, owns and runs it.

Photobucket

The next interesting thing is a store filled with old nautical items, which is one of my loves. My living room is decorated in this manner. I have only bought one thing at this store, because it's rather expensive though. Most of the things I have found on my own. This is a fence by the store though, which reminds us that we live on an island. All this stuff is for sale. I don't remember the name of the store.

Photobucket

I had a friend to die, which lived near the post office. His name was Morris. He died when I was in Tennessee. I was so saddened by this poster. My husband told me about a month ago that Morris had passed away. This was the first time I had seen the poster. I am so sorry that I didn't get to say hello to my long time friend one more time. I really loved that old cat, and when I got the news he died I shed a few tears for him.

Here's a few pictures of Morris as I knew him...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And here's Morris as I know him now, with a big R.I.P. below his face. He was 24 years old. Rest in Peace, dear old friend. I am so glad I got my photos of him before he left us.

Photobucket

Finally, we made it to the post office. I don't know why I said finally. It really isn't all that far... probably about four blocks from here. In their lawn we sighted an egret feeding there. Actually he's resin or some other material, but I liked him.

Photobucket

After we finished our business in the post office we crossed the street to wait on the bus. It was a few minutes until another one came, so be got to explore the playground behind the bus stop a bit.

There were some precious children there having a ball in the water. I couldn't resist taking a few pictures of them as I got the playground.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The playground is right beside of the elementary school. Here's the front - well half of it.

Photobucket

And here's the back of it...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Behind the playground is the baseball field where the Little League plays.

Photobucket

Here is one of a few picnic tables at the field.

Photobucket

By it, on the next street over, is a building with condos in it.

Photobucket

Behind the Little League field is a path where one can go and see the Long Island Sound.

Photobucket

It's so peaceful here!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After a few minutes here we were able to catch the bus and be on our way to the dentist's office. We had to take a transfer to another bus at Pelham Bay Train Station.

Photobucket

A man was out there selling franks (hot dogs). His cart is new. I have never seen him before.

Photobucket

Here is a cute little store actually built under the steps of the train station. I love the man who works there too. He's always so friendly!

Photobucket

I have never shown you a picture of this pizza shop, I don't believe. We never eat there, because it doesn't seem very clean, but my husband has met a celebrity there before from "The Sopranos." He had to tell my husband who he was, because we don't watch TV, LOL. We do live one block from Vincent Pastore of the Sopranos, however. My husband chats with him when he runs into him. He lives like a common person rather than like you would expect a celebrity to live. His car is nothing special, his house is nothing special, and he wears flip flops and sweat pants out, LOL.

Photobucket

If you can see through this fence, one of my friends works in that building. It's a professional building, and she works at the imaging diagnosis clinic as an ultra sound technician. It's a shame that I have to go to have an ultra sound to see her. Blythe, if you are reading this, we are going to have to make a date! Love you!

Photobucket

My dentist's office is on the first floor of a tenement building. I have shown you his office before, but never the lobby. Here it is.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is looking down the hall to my dentist's.

Photobucket

After I finished there, as long and tedious of a visit as it was, we went to get our produce, as this is where I always stock up on my raw foods.

We passed the health food store where I usually get some things, but I didn't have the extra money to shop there today.

Photobucket

I saw a pretty pigeon perched upon a sign.

Photobucket

My husband passed the produce store, saying that he wanted to walk up the hill and back down the other side of the street. Unbeknownst to be, he wanted to eat pizza, so we got a slice each. This is our favorite pizza restaurant in the Bronx.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Afterward we went to the produce store, of which I will post the photos of what we bought in a separate post.

Photobucket

Blessings,
Kimberly ♥

1 comment:

  1. I love all these pictures. It gave me a glimpse of your life. I'm sorry about Morris... I know that he held a special part in your family. I have a cat too, and I can't imagine the pain I'll go through if she pet left me. Congrats on your new crowns by the way! I'm really glad that you have a great dentist who takes care of your teeth.

    ReplyDelete