Sunday, August 8, 2010

Day Forty Nine of My Health Journey, Tofu Recipe and Food Additives

Well lots has been going on here. No more weight loss, I am still at 19 pounds, fluctuating, because I have been eating a little cooked foods. Friday was the last day that I reported in.

Later in the day I had a pepper jack cheese and lettuce sandwich.

Photobucket

That evening I had a salad with tofu. I had never had tofu before, but I like it! I will post that near the bottom, as it is a recipe.

My husband bought some more bananas, some olive oil, a pineapple and some yogurt.

Photobucket

Saturday we had a smoothie. I really, really hate cooking anything on the Sabbath. I feel that we are commanded against it, and when I do I try to make it something quick. But I do juice or make smoothies. We are not commanded to fast on the Sabbaths, so I do want to eat. I forgot to take a photo of it though. This one had yogurt in it. I can't afford yogurt each time I make a smothie, but definitely feel we need more probiotics in our diet.

Saturday evening we had beef sausage links, a little left over tofu, some avocado, a little mushrooms and some green onions. By the way, we use Jones Sausage. They are natural and free of additives, and they taste good.

Photobucket

Then I reminded my husband that he forgot to make the plantains. I love these.

Photobucket

Saturday night we snacked on zucchini chips.

Photobucket

Sunday morning I had a smoothie. This one contained 2 bananas, a pear, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, the juice from one lime, pineapple, a handful of spinach and a small yellow pepper. After I had separated my husband's half out I added a kiwi.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Later in the day we had a couple of beef sausages and a plantain.

Photobucket

I have been really busy in the kitchen today. I cut up a big salad, which will do for at least two days.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I made some crystallized ginger and sliced up another zucchini for zucchini chips. They are in the dehydrator now. I still have to make a post on how to make crystallized ginger. Hopefully I will get to that soon.

Photobucket

I have got lots soaking.

I have black eyed peas, which I have soaked and am now sprouting, flax seeds soaking and mixed nuts soaking.

Photobucket

TRYING to get healthy here, though it's a slow go.

Here's the page on food additives for your little folder that I hope you have started. This is the exciting part that tells what additives do what damage to your body. Very important information!

Photobucket

As for the biology, I am really feeling overwhelmed right now. School is about to start and I have some things that I want to do and take care of before then, so I was thinking about just reading the whole book, in parts, - it's pretty short - and putting it on a pod cast and then putting the pod cast on my blog. I really want you to know the information in the book, but it's so hard to read it and then to try to summarize it, and when i summarize I leave quite a bit out. I think that is what I will do soon. I have been in school for three years now, and thought I just had 3 months off I am so tired. I picked a career, which takes a lot of reading and paper writing, research etc., and I am just exhausted, and to think of school starting back up exhausts me more. So, yeah, I think reading will be better for all of us - or in your case hearing. :)

Now, for the tofu - I almost forgot!

I took a mini pepper - one of these...

Photobucket

and I chopped it up into little bitty pieces.

Photobucket

Then I used a mortar and pestle to crush it as much as I could to get the juice out. I also had some minced garlic in there (1 clove).

Photobucket

In a container I combined 5 tablespoons of soy sauce, 5 table spoons of olive oil, a drop of liquid smoke, some salt, paprika, turmeric, curry and chili powder and stirred them up, added the pepper and garlic and a little chopped cilantro and then poured it all over the tofu, leaving it to set for an hour.

Photobucket

Then I fried it until it was kind of brown and crispy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After it cooled we added it to a nice big salad and it was yummy!

This was mine.

Photobucket

And my husband wanted me to photograph his. :) It was on our Sabbath china, meaning we throw it away. :)

Photobucket

Oh, and I don't recommend eating alot of tofu. Soybeans aren't that healthy, but it's a nice alternative sometimes to meat.

Blessings,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment