Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day Sixty Six of My Health Journey

Wow, it's been a busy week - one of studying psychology 8 - 12 hours a day. School is like having a full time job - worse even sometimes I think. But I have been studying about the brain this week - the biology of psychology, and I have REALLY enjoyed it. I love biology and seeing how the body works. You all should know that by now. :) I have learned alot of stuff this week, and several thing that might interest you, such as:

  • Acetylcholine (ACh) is the chemical that makes our muscles contract. A black widow's venom is ACh, and when an excess of ACh enters your blood stream it causes violent muscle contractions.
  • Tribes who use poisonous darts use a poison called curare. It is a toxin that blocks ACh and therefore paralyzes you, because muscles are deemed unable to contract.
  • Botox is actually botulin in small doses. Botulin is highly neurotoxic, and is found in canned foods, which has not been prepared properly. It causes botulism, which leads to paralysis. Therefore, what botox does, while smoothing wrinkles, is paralyzes the muscles in your face. 
I love learning little facts like that, even though none apply to me, but I just have a love of biology and nutrition, in general!

I haven't been eating too healthy this week. Near the end of the month our funds begin to deplete, and so we have to eat more cooked foods than raw. I still am 25 pounds down though, and my husband is now 21 pounds down. He's gaining on me!  :)

Here's what we've eaten the past few days. I don't show every single thing, because I am not going to photograph every time I eat a banana, LOL, but I do show the main things that we eat. Hopefully next month we can get more raw into out diet. I am ready to speed this journey up a bit to get to my goal. . . though when I reach my goal I am not going to stop with the raw. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. The main reason I am doing it is not to lose a few pounds, but to gain health. One day, eventually, I hope to be 100% raw.

I've had black beans, macaroni and bread...

Photobucket

Scrambled eggs, fried mushrooms,  tomatoes, peppers and bread...

Photobucket

Fresh juice...

Photobucket

One night we had a roasted chicken with plantains and carrots. (This is deserving of a few photos.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had more black beans.

Photobucket

More chicken and plantains with rice...

Photobucket

One day just plantains and rice...

Photobucket

Scrambled eggs, tomatoes and plantains...

Photobucket

And for breakfast today we had a fried egg and a roll.

Photobucket

We've had more juice in between than I have photographed too, and several bananas. And WAY TOO MUCH bread! I feel miserable when I eat bread,  but it's the thing that I most love. :(

I have some bad news! I have misplaced my little food additive book, so  no new page today. I'll find it soon through. It's just been crazy with all these psychology studies!

Blessings,
Kimberly ♥

3 comments:

  1. Oh my word. I am certifiably starving now and I just woke up! LOL Yum and YUM! Awesome dishes Kimberly and even more awesome photos.

    I just love you. You are such a sweetheart.

    xo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have shared a long story of the health journey. From your discussion it seems to be good journey. And the picture is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both so much! I want to inspire others to be healthier for the most part, though you will find lots of times that I fail. I have lost 27 pounds though in the past 2 1/2 months, and yesterday I was so proud because I put on a pair of pants that I bought at the last of March and I can not wear them anymore. The weight is falling off at a good rate, I guess.

    Thank you both so much for your comments, and Kim, your blog inspires me so much - not in food, but in decorating and it I usually start my day with it, and your bright photos and photos of Maggie and so forth just really make my day. Thank you! ♥

    ReplyDelete