Monday, May 10, 2010

Fried Okra - How To!

One of my husband's and my favorite dishes is fried okra. We don't have it often, but indulge every once in a while. I don't know too many people from the north yet (terrible thought being that I have been here for over five years now) but my husband informs me that it is a southern dish and not too many people from the north know about it. At least, that is his word, so I thought that this would be a good recipe to share. I just didn't take many photos, however, because it's been a very busy day for me. Anyway, this is for anyone who might not have ever heard of or tried fried okra. I know that everyone from the south has. :)


Photobucket

  • Take your fresh, washed, okra and slice into just about 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside.
  • Mix about 1/2 pint heavy cream with an egg. I use to use milk, but the heavy cream sticks better and seems to make the flour stick on to the okra better.
  • Place about 1 1/2 - 2 cups of flour in a bowl.
  • Dip the okra into the cream and turn it until it is all covered, then place the okra in the bowl of flour and make sure that all the okra is covered with flour.
  • Have about an inch of oil heated in a skillet, place the okra in it and fry for about 8 -10 minutes, then turn and fry until it's all golden brown.
Place in a bowl lined with a paper towel to absorb excess grease.

That's it. :)

Love,
Kimberly ♥

2 comments:

  1. We actually use corn meal instead of flour. Gives it a bit of extra crunch. Just a tip from a Texan. We also raise our own okra.

    Rande Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rande. Some people in Tennessee use corn meal too. I think it is delicious both ways! :) I even like okra stewed with tomatoes, which lots of people don't like because it is so slimy that way.

    ReplyDelete