Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How to Make Homemade Butter, and Endorsing an Ebook Called "Watermelons and Fireflies".

I am a Southern girl - even though I live in New York City, my heart will always be in the South. Needless to say, all the Southern stuff goes with it. I love farm things, and not only am I a girl of farm things, but I'm also a lover of primitive things. Put in in New England in the 1600's and I would fit right in! I yearn to learn how to sew, how to knit and weave on the loom, and do all the nice things that the Puritan women would do.

Soooooo, when I saw this ebook , Watermelon and Fireflies, yesterday, I went crazy! Actually, I haven 't purchased the ebook yet, but I plan to when I get some more extra cash, but I saw the preview of the ebook that she offered and loved it! It is decorated so pretty, and seems to offer so many great summer ideas. I am not a summer person, so I need all the ideas to make summer enjoyable that I can get. I don't get out and go swimming or anything like that, so my idea of enjoyable is in the kitchen.

Well, let me get to the point. She has a page that teaches you how to make butter! Homemade butter! Wow! "Could I" I thought. Well, I was so excited at the thought of making my own butter I tried it!

You can find the recipe on her preview, by clicking on the link above, or by clicking here.

But it's so simple! Just take some heavy cream and pour it in a jar...

Photobucket
 and shake, shake, shake!

I tried to get a picture of it being midway shaken (as it takes 30 minutes) to shake, but it didn't turn out too good.

Photobucket

But when it finished, I poured it out into one of my lock and lock containers. It's very soft at this point!

Photobucket

I added about four turns of the sea salt grinder, and stirred it up.

Photobucket

Then I put it in some ice water. (The pan is clean; it's just stained with baked on grease that won't come off.) I just kept it here for about 10 minutes, or you can just put it in the refrigerator.

Photobucket

 It turns out like this - just like real butter. It is real butter! I still can't believe I made butter!

Photobucket

It was so good that on the way back from the post office my husband grabbed a couple of rolls to celebrate!

Photobucket

 Then, half of the butter was gone!

Photobucket

Soooo, I made enough for two more containers! I made more for our home, and one for a gift. Only this time I changed it. When I added the salt, I also added just a little bit of honey to sweeten it, and I was thinking that one could also add garlic. Cinnamon would probably be good too. Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm!!

Bread and butter is one of my favorite foods, and I try to limit it, but I don't know. This might be a failure point for me. It's as fun to make as it is to eat!!

I've got to get the book to see what other kinds of projects she has. I don't know Aunt Ruth, the writer of the ebook, but I have been following her blog for some time now, and she is the sweetest lady and almost always glorifies our Father in Heaven, so when I purchase the ebook, I will be proud to support a sister.

Now, go make some yummy butter. It tastes better than store bought, just knowing that you made it with your own hands! I never thought I could make butter in my little NYC apartment!

Love,
Kimberly ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment